SVS (Balaji) Temple, under guidance of the Board of Trustees and the Auxiliary Committee, has developed a Scholarship Fund to help provide a valuable and needed program to our devotees and their families. The Scholarship Fund will provide a $10,000 scholarship to first year students who are enrolled full time at accredited undergraduate programs in academic year starting fall 2023. The scholarship will be distributed in equal installments over four years to the winning student(s). The scholarship will be awarded 50% based on merit and 50% based on financial need. The number of scholarships that will be provided is dependent on annual fundraising. The scholarships will be distributed to the winning student over 4 years, paid directly to the college on the student’s behalf.
- Application must be completed before May 31, 2023
- At the top of every page submitted, please write the first initial of your last name followed by the last 4 digits of your social security number. (e.g. if you name is John Doe and your SS# is 123-45-6789, your “application code” would be D6789).
- You must include a copy of your high school transcript with this application.
- Parts III, IV and V should be typed, single spaced in a separate document, printed and submitted with the rest of the application (with the application code written at the top right of every page). Your essays should not include your name or your parents’ names.
- Attach a copy of (i.) your parents’ 2022 tax return(s), whichever is applicable (usually IRS form 1040 or 1040A), (ii) your parents’ March pay stub(s). Please provide proof of any income generated outside the U.S.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online. Submit a copy of your FAFSA application. Also, attach the Student Aid Report (SAR) or a SAR Acknowledgement that is sent to you after completing the FAFSA which includes your EFC (Expected Family Contribution).
- Request one letter of recommendation from a teacher (fill in Application Code & your name prior to giving it to your teacher).
- DO NOT WRITE YOUR NAME ANYWHERE IN THE APPLICATION EXCEPT IN PART 1
- Applications should be placed in a sealed envelope and addressed to the Auxiliary Committee – Scholarship Application. The completed application and additional materials can be dropped off in person to the Office at the Temple or mailed to the address above. After submitting your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, application code and the date submitted. Alternatively, all completed materials can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Please include the completed checklist as part of your application.
- Finalists may be asked to participate in a phone interview.
- All applications will be reviewed on a blind-basis. Part I & II (including FAFSA, EFC, tax returns, etc.) will be separated from the rest of your application and reviewed separately. Reviewers of Parts III, IV and V will not know the applicants name when reviewing.
- All information will be confidential and not shared with any third-parties or distributed, except to individuals on the Auxiliary Committee and the S.V.S. (Balaji) Temple Board of Trustees.
- Incomplete applications or applications that do not follow the instructions outlined above may be removed from consideration.
- Applications of scholarship recipients are subject to further validation as to the accuracy of submitted information. Any incorrect information may result in disqualification.
- All scholarship recipients must be continuously enrolled in an accredited college program during the scholarship period, maintain a minimum B average and have no criminal record.
Click here to download the form